March 2005 Meeting Minutes (3/4/2005)
The March 2005 MASA meeting was held on the 3rd at
the Science Museum. It was a light turnout with 10 people in
attendance including 2 guests.
- Mike E. reports that the February launch went well.
- MarsCon - local sf convention - Stuart Lenz and Mike Erpelding
plan to display some rocket stuff on Friday March 4 and possibly
on Saturday March 5
- NARCON - March 11 through 13 in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
Nearly everyone in attendance at the meeting was planning on
- The progress of some of the local TARC teams was discussed.
- The March launch will be at the Buffalo / Rockford field.
- Alan Estenson talked about some student teams at the U of M
who plan to build and launch CanSats.
Show & Tell
- Dave Whitaker brought a FlisKits Corona.
- Stuart Lenz brought a scratchbuilt MicroMaxx SR-71 and also an
Estes Phantom see-thru display rocket.
- Ellison Lenz brought along the rocket that he built for his
HPR L1 cert attempt - a HyperLOC 300. He plans to fly it
at Bong during NARCON.
- Caleb Boe had an Estes Phoenix. He modified it to take
longer motors such as the E9 and F21.
- Glen Overby brought along a book of photos from the Apollo
missions - "Full Moon"
MASA member Andy Heren presented his "Kennedy Space Center
Travelogue." Andy was down at KSC back in January for an
educator's workshop. Andy shared many photos and stories of
his tours around KSC and Cape Canaveral. Some of the
highlights were: SSME's, the shuttle Endeavour in the OPF, the
VAB, LC39A, author Andy Chaikin, the shuttle transporter (aka
crawler), modules awaiting their trip to the ISS, the rocket garden,
LC34, and the many historical items in the Saturn V Center.