October 2006 Meeting Minutes (10/7/2006)
The October 2006 MASA meeting was held on the 5th at
the Science Museum.
8 people attended the meeting.
- A "bonus" launch is planned for Saturday, October 7. [That
launch cancelled due to winds.]
- The "official" October launch is scheduled for the 28th at
the Nowthen site. The themes are multi-staging and
scale-model missiles. There will hopefully be a fun Fat
Boy duration contest, and, with Halloween right around the
corner, a Goblin drag race. Unless someone volunteers to
bring a multi-pad control system, this will strictly be a
misfire-alley style launch.
- The next meeting will be on November 2. Nominations
for 2007 MASA officer positions will open at that time.
The meeting topic will be "rocket web sites" led by Rick Vatsaas.
There is a Wild game that night, so there is a possibility that
the meeting date or location may change. Watch the web
site for updates.
Show -n- Tell
- Buzz McDermott brought along a big binder full of old issues
of Estes' Model Rocket News. He also brought an oddroc
made of a stack of little plastic pumpkins.
Baby Bertha Kitbash - organized by Alan Estenson
- 6 people at the meeting accepted the kitbash challenge by
purchasing a Baby Bertha kit for $5. (Stuart Lenz, Buzz
McDermott, Andy Heren, Mike Erpelding, Caleb Boe, and Tim Barr.)
You didn't need to be at this meeting to participate; you can
pick up a kit from whatever source that you like.
- The goal is to build a flyable rocket from the parts
contained in an Estes Baby Bertha kit, just so long as you don't
actually build a stock Baby Bertha! There aren't a ton of
parts in this kit, so it's going to challenge your creativity.
- You are allowed to use any paint and decals that you desire
to finish the rocket.
- You are allowed to substitute uncut balsa sheet (of an
identical size) for one or both of the laser cut fin sheets
included in the kit.
- You are allowed to use a different shock cord if you desire.
You can also add a snap swivel for the parachute.
- You are allowed to add nose weight if necessary for
- NO other substitutions or additions allowed!
- Everyone who brings their finished kitbash rocket to the
November MASA meeting will have their names thrown in the hat
for a prize drawing. Of course, flying your kitbash
creations at the October and/or November launches is encouraged!